MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Zucchini-Tomato Bake


This recipe was altered by my mom. So I have decided to just post the one from the book since I lost track of what she was adding. HA! The reason I made this was because we have so many zucchini and eggplants in the garden that we need to use some up. This called for both. I also used the cherry tomatoes we had grown. But I recommend the canned tomatoes so you can get the full juice out of them. I also served this over pasta and with take and bake cheesy bread from Harris Teeter

Note: This recipe is actually a side item! If you want to make it a meal for everyone double everything and serve it over pasta like I did. 
Ingredients:
1 pound eggplant, coarsely chopped
2 cups zucchini slices
2 cups mushroom slices
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped fresh fennel (optional didn't add this)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 can 14 1/2 ounces) no salt added whole tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon no-salt-added tomato paste
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon sugar

Makes 6 servings (as a side dish.)

1. Preheat oven to 400F. Spray 3 sheets (18x12 inches) heavy-duty foil with nonstick cooking spray. Divide eggplant, zucchini, and mushrooms into 3 portions. Arrange each portion on foil sheet.

2. Heat oil in a small skillet over medium high heat. Add onion, fennel (optional) and garlic. Cook and stir 3 to 4 mins or until onion is tender. Add tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, basil and sugar. Cook and stir about 4 mins or until sauce thickens.

3. Pour sauce over eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms on the each individual foils. Double-fold sides and ends of foil to seal packets, leaving head space for heat circulation. Place on baking sheet.

4. Bake 30 mins. Remove from oven. Carefully open on end of each packet to allow steam to escape. Open and transfer contents to serving dish. Garnish, if desired.



From the cookbook Incredibly Easy Italian

Photos from this recipe Zucchini Bake

0 comments:

Post a Comment